ukclique > d-i-y

David (05.07.2015, 13:47)
I have a CM927 which is a couple of years old.
Individual cells in the LCD screen are starting to fail - still usable at
the moment but a bit disconcerting.

Google gives a mixed picture.
Some posters say they have had loads of failures.
Others say they have never had a problem.

Anyone here had the problem with a CM927 - either own or supplied to
others?

More importantly, have you had more than one fail?

Cheers

Dave R
Graham. (10.07.2015, 22:17)
On 5 Jul 2015 11:47:12 GMT, David <wibble> wrote:

[..]
>More importantly, have you had more than one fail?
>Cheers
>Dave R


Does applying gentle pressure to the display make the faulty segments
work?

There are two common ways the LCD could be connected to the PCB.

A ribbon cable bonded to the glass,
or a clamp arrangement with a zebrastripe rubber connector sandwiched
between.

The latter type often can be cleaned up successfully.

I've not had much success with the bonded type.
Phil (20.10.2015, 21:44)
replying to David , Phil wrote:
[..]
> Dave R
> --
> Windows 8.1 on PCSpecialist box


had the same problem found a diy fix in another forum

Strip the unit and remove the circuit board (just a few plastic clips, no
screws). Remove the LCD assembly from the circuit board (more plastic
clips and an eight pin push connection). Removed the LCD unit from the
clear plastic housing (more plastic clips). Finally heat up the plastic
ribbon where it is stuck to the circuit board (hair dryer will do trick)
and then firmly press it onto the circuit board... probably worth doing
this several times; in effect you are remating the ribbon to the circuit
board by softening the adhesive. Put it all back together and it should be
working again.

worked for me
Dave Liquorice (21.10.2015, 01:40)
On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 19:44:02 +0000, Phil wrote:

> Finally heat up the plastic ribbon where it is stuck to the circuit
> board (hair dryer will do trick) and then firmly press it onto the
> circuit board... probably worth doing this several times; in effect you
> are remating the ribbon to the circuit board by softening the adhesive.


I wonder if that will work for the ribbon cable that is unreliable on
the LCD disply of our microwave. Several tracks are "broken" but if
you ramp up the humidity they work. This is a flat ribbon that splits
and is bonded to both sides of the glass of the LCD itself with a
rather sharp bend along the edge of the glass.
Gary Must (30.12.2015, 18:44)
replying to Phil , Gary Must wrote:
> Phil wrote:
> had the same problem found a diy fix in another forum
> Strip the unit and remove the circuit board (just a few plastic clips, no
> screws). Remove the LCD assembly from the circuit board (more plastic clips and
> an eight pin push connection). Removed the LCD unit from the clear plastic
> housing (more plastic clips). Finally heat up the plastic ribbon where it is
> stuck to the circuit board (hair dryer will do trick) and then firmly press it
> onto the circuit board... probably worth doing this several times; in

effect
you
> are remating the ribbon to the circuit board by softening the adhesive. Put it
> all back together and it should be working again.
> worked for me


Just wanted to say thank you for your fix. It worked brilliantly and i now
have a fully working display.
Brian-Gaff (31.12.2015, 18:48)
The manufacturer seems to have made it less than rugged from your
description. Reall for the need of a few more clips instead of glue it
probably means many people are binning them.
Brian
Davo (19.07.2016, 20:44)
replying to Phil, Davo wrote:
My first thermostats digits died almost over night after about fours yrs being
on the living room wall...I contacted the installer and he charged me £70 for
replacement......guess what no 2 has now suffered the same fate...after doing
an Internet search I found lots of people had suffered the same problem...so I
opened up the old thermostat took it apart to reveal the lcd ribbon...very
east task with nothing more than a flat blade screwdriver just be gentle and
methodical and it won't fight back...heat up the ribbon with hairdryer....like
magic the lcd kicked back to life after being completely blank and in its
replacements box for almost five years

The hairdryer method definitely works for how long nobody knows but now I have
a spare so not worried anymore.
Albert (24.07.2016, 14:44)
replying to Phil, Albert wrote:
This worked for me also.
nick (04.08.2016, 14:14)
replying to Davo, nick wrote:
i had this problem this week - failing digits. A call to Honeywell was
answered promptly, and i received an email within 5 mins asking fort a picture
of the screen and the rear serial # sticker and a receipt pic ( not available.

i then had an email with a returns address and an offwr of a new CM927
controller!!

so they seem to have sorted things at their end.

Nick R
Dafyd Hopkins (15.08.2016, 19:44)
replying to David, Dafyd Hopkins wrote:
I actually just put mine on the hot water tank for 24hrs. it was registering
40c when I took out just now and the screen is all back..
Mark Dalzell (07.09.2016, 19:14)
replying to Graham., Mark Dalzell wrote:
I have just tried Phil's remedy and it worked first time. Thank you very much
indeed.
B (07.09.2016, 21:44)
replying to Dave Liquorice, B wrote:
Phil, thank you so much, your fix just worked for us after I called Honeywell
and they were only able to advise buying a new unit at a cost of £90!
Brilliant :-)
tony sayer (09.09.2016, 00:10)
In article <50495$57d06e01$a2d350aa$30298>, B
<caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_10041> scribeth thus
>replying to Dave Liquorice, B wrote:
>Phil, thank you so much, your fix just worked for us after I called Honeywell
>and they were only able to advise buying a new unit at a cost of 90!
>Brilliant :-)


Just tied up this number with our controller.

Thus far has worked fine;!...
David C (11.09.2016, 16:14)
replying to David, David C wrote:
> I have a CM927 which is a couple of years old. Individual cells in the LCD screen are starting to fail - still usable at the moment but a bit disconcerting.


> Google gives a mixed picture. Some posters say they have had loads of failures. Others say they have never had a problem.


> Anyone here had the problem with a CM927 - either own or supplied to others?


> More importantly, have you had more than one fail?


> Cheers


> Dave R

My first one failed and was replaced under warranty , it wasn't controlling
correctly.
The replacement has just failed , screen has some minor defects . More
importantly the target temp can only be set in 5 degree steps , e.g. to 20 or
25 , and the room temperature is indicating 35 - clearly wrong. I've tried a
factory reset but no improvement.
Leddy (19.09.2016, 14:14)
replying to Davo, Leddy wrote:
Hi , I strip the unit down as you described but I couldn't see a ribbon (or
what I think a ribbon should look like) . The screen just had 8/10 metal
prongs that pushed into a unit . Is this the same unit you're describing? Look
forward to your reply

Similar Threads