ukclique > railway

gordonT (21.09.2017, 18:03)
Someone tweeted re. non-tiolet '700' stock on Waterloo-Windsor service as follows:
"Didn't the designers think that's inconvenient for a journey of nearly an hour? Any parents, elderly people or women on the design panel?"
Anyone have a stab at the longest journey in journey time rather than distance terms (where it would be perfectly likely for some passengers to travel the full distance) where non-tiolet accommodation is provided? Can be on NR or LU.
Roland Perry (21.09.2017, 19:51)
In message <2a7bc731-8535-431e-b1d8-0406997cad43>, at
09:03:59 on Thu, 21 Sep 2017, gordonT <tshanazt> remarked:
>Someone tweeted re. non-tiolet '700' stock on Waterloo-Windsor service
>as follows:
>"Didn't the designers think that's inconvenient for a journey of
>nearly an hour? Any parents, elderly people or women on the design
>panel?"
>Anyone have a stab at the longest journey in journey time rather than
>distance terms (where it would be perfectly likely for some passengers
>to travel the full distance) where non-tiolet accommodation is
>provided? Can be on NR or LU.


LU is a bit off because few people will travel from Ealing Broadway to
Epping (or whatever).

In the same general area Guildford (or a few points east) to Waterloo
via Effingham junction is over an hour.
Garden6089 (21.09.2017, 19:55)
On Thursday, 21 September 2017 17:04:02 UTC+1, gordonT wrote:
> Someone tweeted re. non-tiolet '700' stock on Waterloo-Windsor service as follows:
> "Didn't the designers think that's inconvenient for a journey of nearly an hour? Any parents, elderly people or women on the design panel?"
> Anyone have a stab at the longest journey in journey time rather than distance terms (where it would be perfectly likely for some passengers to travel the full distance) where non-tiolet accommodation is provided? Can be on NR or LU.


Chesham - Aldgate
Hunts Cross - Southport
Glasgow - Wemyss Bay if a 314 is diagrammed
Waterloo - Shepperton
Waterloo - Dorking
Victoria - Horsham if a 455 is diagrammed
Waterloo - Guildford via Cobham or Epsom
Waterloo - Weybridge via Hounslow

In any case, the Windsor line was historically operated by non-bog-fitted trains (2NOLs, 2/4EPBs, 2SAPs, class 508 and 455). It's only a recent quirk that has seen 450s on them.
Recliner (21.09.2017, 21:59)
gordonT <tshanazt> wrote:
> Someone tweeted re. non-tiolet '700' stock on Waterloo-Windsor service as follows:
> "Didn't the designers think that's inconvenient for a journey of nearly
> an hour? Any parents, elderly people or women on the design panel?"
> Anyone have a stab at the longest journey in journey time rather than
> distance terms (where it would be perfectly likely for some passengers to
> travel the full distance) where non-tiolet accommodation is provided? Can be on NR or LU.


The new class 707s will soon be replaced by even newer Class 701s, which
will have toilets.
Paul Bowery (21.09.2017, 23:52)
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:55:55 -0700 (PDT), Garden6089 wrote:

>On Thursday, 21 September 2017 17:04:02 UTC+1, gordonT wrote:
>Chesham - Aldgate
>Hunts Cross - Southport
>Glasgow - Wemyss Bay if a 314 is diagrammed
>Waterloo - Shepperton
>Waterloo - Dorking
>Victoria - Horsham if a 455 is diagrammed
>Waterloo - Guildford via Cobham or Epsom
>Waterloo - Weybridge via Hounslow
>In any case, the Windsor line was historically operated by non-bog-fitted trains (2NOLs, 2/4EPBs, 2SAPs, class 508 and 455). It's only a recent quirk that has seen 450s on them.


In the early 2000s the off peak services on the Southminster branch
were Class 315s which ran as a stopping train through to Liverpool
Street. Usually after a night shift I travelled on the 0833 which
stopped at every station from Liverpool Street - must have been
approaching 2 hours for the complete journey.
Anna Noyd-Dryver (22.09.2017, 06:16)
Roland Perry <roland> wrote:
> In message <2a7bc731-8535-431e-b1d8-0406997cad43>, at
> 09:03:59 on Thu, 21 Sep 2017, gordonT <tshanazt> remarked:
> LU is a bit off because few people will travel from Ealing Broadway to
> Epping (or whatever).


Amersham/Chesham to Aldgate (or Liverpool Street, etc)'s not so unlikely
though.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Anna Noyd-Dryver (22.09.2017, 06:16)
<Garden6089> wrote:
[..]
> In any case, the Windsor line was historically operated by non-bog-fitted
> trains (2NOLs, 2/4EPBs, 2SAPs, class 508 and 455). It's only a recent
> quirk that has seen 450s on them.


455s occasionally operate to Reading.

Anna Noyd-Dryver
Roland Perry (22.09.2017, 09:25)
In message <oq22qb$n56$4>, at 04:16:11 on Fri, 22 Sep
2017, Anna Noyd-Dryver <Anna> remarked:

>Amersham/Chesham to Aldgate (or Liverpool Street, etc)'s not so unlikely
>though.


Amersham to Liverpool St is under an hour (just).

I suspect TfL's policy is based (like Crossrail's) on the existence of
loos at some stations, coupled with the relatively frequent service.
Recliner (22.09.2017, 10:59)
Roland Perry <roland> wrote:
> In message <oq22qb$n56>, at 04:16:11 on Fri, 22 Sep
> 2017, Anna Noyd-Dryver <Anna> remarked:
> Amersham to Liverpool St is under an hour (just).
> I suspect TfL's policy is based (like Crossrail's) on the existence of
> loos at some stations, coupled with the relatively frequent service.


Yes, most of those outer suburban stations do have free loos, though the
service isn't necessarily frequent.
R. Mark Clayton (22.09.2017, 14:10)
On Friday, 22 September 2017 09:59:55 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland> wrote:
> Yes, most of those outer suburban stations do have free loos, though the
> service isn't necessarily frequent.


Yes, but you could break your journey at Baker Street or similar either way.
Recliner (22.09.2017, 15:45)
R. Mark Clayton <notyalckram> wrote:
> On Friday, 22 September 2017 09:59:55 UTC+1, Recliner wrote:
> Yes, but you could break your journey at Baker Street or similar either way.


Sadly that loo is no longer free/
Mark Bestley (22.09.2017, 17:15)
Anna Noyd-Dryver <Anna> wrote:

> <Garden6089> wrote:
> 455s occasionally operate to Reading.


455s also do Victoria-> Epsom Downs where some diagrams are > 1hr
Sou';wester (22.09.2017, 19:40)
Brighton to Portsmouth Harbour arround hourly most of the day, taking about 1hour 20min. usually a class 313.
clausenjh (24.09.2017, 17:13)
On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 6:55:58 PM UTC+1, Garde...@live.co.uk wrote:
> On Thursday, 21 September 2017 17:04:02 UTC+1, gordonT wrote:
> Chesham - Aldgate
> Hunts Cross - Southport
> Glasgow - Wemyss Bay if a 314 is diagrammed
> Waterloo - Shepperton
> Waterloo - Dorking
> Victoria - Horsham if a 455 is diagrammed
> Waterloo - Guildford via Cobham or Epsom
> Waterloo - Weybridge via Hounslow
> In any case, the Windsor line was historically operated by non-bog-fittedtrains (2NOLs, 2/4EPBs, 2SAPs, class 508 and 455). It's only a recent quirk that has seen 450s on them.


Glasgow to Wemyss Bay is only 47 minutes. The 314s used to do Dalmuir to Lanark which was more like 80 minutes. I think Viatoria to Horsham or Brighton to Portsmouth are the longest at the moment. There used to be a London Bridge to Strood via Redhill and Tonbridge with a 508!

John
Patrick Hearn (24.09.2017, 19:13)
On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 5:04:02 PM UTC+1, gordonT wrote:
> Someone tweeted re. non-tiolet '700' stock on Waterloo-Windsor service as follows:
> "Didn't the designers think that's inconvenient for a journey of nearly an hour? Any parents, elderly people or women on the design panel?"
> Anyone have a stab at the longest journey in journey time rather than distance terms (where it would be perfectly likely for some passengers to travel the full distance) where non-tiolet accommodation is provided? Can be on NR or LU.


The West Coastway line from Brighton with 313s is I'm told rather a bladder-stretcher

Patrick
Similar Threads