ukclique > comp.* > comp.homebuilt

F (19.07.2018, 10:47)
No exactly homebuilt, but is it possible to read .docx on Apple devices
without downloading additional software? Similarly for Android devices.
Andy Burns (19.07.2018, 11:19)
F wrote:

> is it possible to read .docx on Apple devices
> without downloading additional software? Similarly for Android devices.


without downloading? not really

without paying for? certainly
Richard Kettlewell (19.07.2018, 11:25)
F <news@nowhere> writes:
> No exactly homebuilt, but is it possible to read .docx on Apple
> devices without downloading additional software?


Sort of. Preview can read them but the formatting an equations are lost
(at least).

> Similarly for Android devices.


Pass. Depends what the manufacturer has preloaded I expect.
(Word is free on Android...)
RJH (19.07.2018, 12:23)
On 19/07/2018 10:25, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> F <news@nowhere> writes:
>> No exactly homebuilt, but is it possible to read .docx on Apple
>> devices without downloading additional software?

> Sort of. Preview can read them but the formatting an equations are lost
> (at least).


Pages, which I think is free and comes pre-installed, makes a fair fist
of words docs.
Jeff Gaines (19.07.2018, 13:17)
On 19/07/2018 in message
<rYSdnVdxiPKUzc3GnZ2dnUU78c_NnZ2d> F wrote:

>No exactly homebuilt, but is it possible to read .docx on Apple devices
>without downloading additional software? Similarly for Android devices.


WPS Office is excellent for Android and it's free.
F (19.07.2018, 21:27)
Thanks, all. An organisation I have contact with has emailed several
hundred of us with a Word document in the expectation everyone would be
able to read it. It looks like I need to suggest they send it out again
as a .pdf.
newshound (19.07.2018, 21:38)
On 19/07/2018 09:47, F wrote:
> No exactly homebuilt, but is it possible to read .docx on Apple devices
> without downloading additional software? Similarly for Android devices.


I'm not sure how good Microsoft's Office Open XML format is.

Plenty of stuff can manage .doc and even .docx *provided* the Word files
are fairly simple. If you start to use Office features like endnotes and
cross-references, most things seem to hit problems.
Gordon (20.07.2018, 07:29)
On 2018-07-19, F <news@nowhere> wrote:
> Thanks, all. An organisation I have contact with has emailed several
> hundred of us with a Word document in the expectation everyone would be
> able to read it. It looks like I need to suggest they send it out again
> as a .pdf.

Indeed. This is one reason why we all need a standard file documents. What
is the point of sending a document to someone if they can not read it?
Chris (20.07.2018, 09:01)
F <news@nowhere> wrote:
> No exactly homebuilt, but is it possible to read .docx on Apple devices
> without downloading additional software? Similarly for Android devices.


There's the online version of word which is free and/ or Google docs.
Chris (20.07.2018, 09:02)
F <news@nowhere> wrote:
> Thanks, all. An organisation I have contact with has emailed several
> hundred of us with a Word document in the expectation everyone would be
> able to read it. It looks like I need to suggest they send it out again
> as a .pdf.


That's always a good idea. Word docs are not the right format for
dissemination of documents.
F (27.07.2018, 12:37)
On 20/07/2018 06:29, Gordon wrote:
> On 2018-07-19, F <news@nowhere> wrote:
> Indeed. This is one reason why we all need a standard file documents. What
> is the point of sending a document to someone if they can not read it?


They're not very IT aware...
F (27.07.2018, 13:01)
On 20/07/2018 08:02, Chris wrote:
> F <news@nowhere> wrote:
> That's always a good idea. Word docs are not the right format for
> dissemination of documents.


Especially when it's a .docx.
Similar Threads