ukclique > railway

gordonT (05.06.2019, 20:58)
See following link (complete with customary picture taken many years ago).



Interesting to see from realtimetrains that Hull Trains will be diverting via the MML into St.Pancras.
Garden6089 (05.06.2019, 21:18)
On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 19:58:19 UTC+1, gordonT wrote:
> See following link (complete with customary picture taken many years ago)..
>
> Interesting to see from realtimetrains that Hull Trains will be divertingvia the MML into St.Pancras.


What's astonishing is that there are NO trains AT ALL south of Peterboroughand Cambridge (on the GN). I accept that this is probably the best opportunity to carry out other works (in particular at Stevenage station to relocate OLE structures to allow construction of the bay platform) but for there to be no service at all, even locals from Moorgate to Welwyn and Hertford, seems OTT to put it mildly. It ought to have been possible to run Mooorgate- Welwyn and Hertford and Hitchin to Cambridge and Peterborough, with buses from Hitchin to Luton Airport Parkway and from Welwyn and Hertford to Stevenage and Hitchin.
Recliner (05.06.2019, 21:42)
<Garden6089> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 19:58:19 UTC+1, gordonT wrote:
> What's astonishing is that there are NO trains AT ALL south of
> Peterborough and Cambridge (on the GN). I accept that this is probably
> the best opportunity to carry out other works (in particular at Stevenage
> station to relocate OLE structures to allow construction of the bay
> platform) but for there to be no service at all, even locals from
> Moorgate to Welwyn and Hertford, seems OTT to put it mildly. It ought to
> have been possible to run Mooorgate - Welwyn and Hertford and Hitchin to
> Cambridge and Peterborough, with buses from Hitchin to Luton Airport
> Parkway and from Welwyn and Hertford to Stevenage and Hitchin.


Is the signalling being switched off all along that route? Obviously the
new tunnel tracks at Kings Cross, the new Stevenage platform and the
reinstated fourth track south of Peterborough will all require signalling
changes.

There will also be works trains along the lines.
Roland Perry (05.06.2019, 21:58)
In message <a03753b5-5cdf-41a0-9f82-8a404d0a0373>, at
12:18:08 on Wed, 5 Jun 2019, Garden6089 remarked:
>On Wednesday, 5 June 2019 19:58:19 UTC+1, gordonT wrote:
>> See following link (complete with customary picture taken many years ago).
>>
>> Interesting to see from realtimetrains that Hull Trains will be
>>diverting via the MML into St.Pancras.


A rare non-stopping-Leicester service.

>What's astonishing is that there are NO trains AT ALL south of
>Peterborough and Cambridge (on the GN).


The story (like some earlier ones) wrongly says *no* services, when it
means no *non-LNER* services.

>I accept that this is probably the best opportunity to carry out other
>works (in particular at Stevenage station to relocate OLE structures to
>allow construction of the bay platform) but for there to be no service
>at all, even locals from Moorgate to Welwyn and Hertford, seems OTT to
>put it mildly. It ought to have been possible to run Mooorgate - Welwyn
>and Hertford and Hitchin to Cambridge and Peterborough, with buses from
>Hitchin to Luton Airport Parkway and from Welwyn and Hertford to
>Stevenage and Hitchin.


This is all rather old news. As far as I can tell the "problem" may well
be that there's only one pair of lines available over significant (maybe
multiple) parts of the ECML south of Peterborough, and therefore GTR has
thrown in the towel. I do think they might have tried running perhaps a
1tph 12-car semi-fast service, which should have been possible.
gordonT (06.06.2019, 00:06)
On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 8:58:42 PM UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:

> The story (like some earlier ones) wrongly says *no* services, when it
> means no *non-LNER* services.


Nope. *No* services does indeed mean *no* services. Apart from anything else KGX will be closed and the responsibility for much of the signalling is being transferred to York which takes a bit of doing.
Roland Perry (06.06.2019, 07:58)
In message <c7640baf-2f5d-4b51-9a2c-c623a27d2a3e>, at
15:06:58 on Wed, 5 Jun 2019, gordonT <torbainclerk> remarked:
>On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 8:58:42 PM UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
>> The story (like some earlier ones) wrongly says *no* services, when it
>> means no *non-LNER* services.

>Nope. *No* services does indeed mean *no* services. Apart from anything
>else KGX will be closed and the responsibility for much of the
>signalling is being transferred to York which takes a bit of doing.


I see what happened - I took an earlier report which said the closure
was the Bank Holiday weekend, and then looked up Monday. Which does have
trains. Sorry about that.

Perhaps chosing BH weekend for this is mainly to cope with any over-run
to the Monday?

Meanwhile, looking a bit more throughly this time, I see that EMT are
running through Peterborough on the Sat/Sun to Ely (and Norwich). I
wonder if they are going to strengthen those services in case there's a
demand to travel to London via Ely.

Looks like it's going to be busy at Retford, where many of the
southbound LNER trains terminate. There's no obvious onward route south
from there, though.

Also busy at Sheffield, where trips from the ECML towards London are
channelled using XC Penzance services, or TPE from Doncaster (where I
suppose passengers on trains headed for Retford would be advised to
change).
gordonT (06.06.2019, 10:54)
On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 7:10:54 AM UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:

> Also busy at Sheffield, where trips from the ECML towards London are
> channelled using XC Penzance services, or TPE from Doncaster (where I
> suppose passengers on trains headed for Retford would be advised to
> change).


Trouble is most of the alternatives tend to be busy in their own right without much room for an influx of migrants from LNER. I imagine there will be the usual entreaty of "Please do not travel".
Roland Perry (06.06.2019, 14:41)
In message <8be08784-76ba-40ea-8681-26158b8521e2>, at
01:54:20 on Thu, 6 Jun 2019, gordonT <torbainclerk> remarked:
>On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 7:10:54 AM UTC+1, Roland Perry wrote:
>Trouble is most of the alternatives tend to be busy in their own right
>without much room for an influx of migrants from LNER. I imagine there
>will be the usual entreaty of "Please do not travel".


No need to speculate: "You are advised NOT TO TRAVEL" [Their shouting]
Christopher A. Lee (06.06.2019, 19:51)
On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 13:41:30 +0100, Roland Perry <roland>
wrote:

>In message <8be08784-76ba-40ea-8681-26158b8521e2>, at
>01:54:20 on Thu, 6 Jun 2019, gordonT <torbainclerk> remarked:
>No need to speculate: "You are advised NOT TO TRAVEL" [Their shouting]


What else does one do on a bank holiday weekend? I used go to
nteresting places for a weekend out. Places like York, where you
really need more than just a day trip. And I'd go by train until I got
a company car.
Garden6089 (06.06.2019, 20:13)
On Thursday, 6 June 2019 18:51:34 UTC+1, Christopher A. Lee wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 13:41:30 +0100, Roland Perry <roland>
> wrote:
> What else does one do on a bank holiday weekend? I used go to
> nteresting places for a weekend out. Places like York, where you
> really need more than just a day trip. And I'd go by train until I got
> a company car.


TBH, I never go anywhere on a Bank Holiday weekend nowadays, mainly becauseeverywhere is crowded and far too often the train service is useless. What's the alternative? Drive and get stuck in a traffic jam somewhere? For me,it's an opportunity to chill out at home with a good book.
Roland Perry (06.06.2019, 21:53)
In message <75kifels25d9bcke3ee7v73hai3eouv2sj>, at 12:51:24 on
Thu, 6 Jun 2019, Christopher A. Lee <c.lee> remarked:
>On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 13:41:30 +0100, Roland Perry <roland>
>wrote:
>What else does one do on a bank holiday weekend?


Stay indoors because it's raining?
Bevan Price (06.06.2019, 23:06)
On 06/06/2019 06:58, Roland Perry wrote:
[..]
> channelled using XC Penzance services, or TPE from Doncaster (where I
> suppose passengers on trains headed for Retford would be advised to
> change).


On the Saturday & Sunday, ECML (LNER) are running approximately hourly
from Doncaster via Lincoln to Peterborough, serving Edinburgh or Leeds
in alternate hours. Presumably some passengers will try to continue from
Peterborough to Liverpool Street via Ely & Cambridge - if they can find
space on some rather short trains to get as far as Cambridge.

Leeds to Sheffield trains are also liable to be rather crowded with
passengers trying to get to/from St. Pancras.

But, despite engineering work at Milton Keynes, WCML will manage to run
a handful of extra workings to/from Edinburgh during the Bank Holiday
weekend.
Roland Perry (07.06.2019, 09:01)
In message <qdbv96$kb4$1>, at 22:06:45 on Thu, 6 Jun 2019,
Bevan Price <bevanprice666> remarked:
>On 06/06/2019 06:58, Roland Perry wrote:
>On the Saturday & Sunday, ECML (LNER) are running approximately hourly
>from Doncaster via Lincoln to Peterborough, serving Edinburgh or Leeds
>in alternate hours. Presumably some passengers will try to continue
>from Peterborough to Liverpool Street via Ely & Cambridge - if they can
>find space on some rather short trains to get as far as Cambridge.


That was my thought above, and courtesy of the Routing Guide it may not
even need a temporary easement [1].

But I looked the timings for Peterborough-London and in fact going the
other way via Leicester is likely to be quicker (depending on actual
arrival times in Peterborough). That definitely is "off route" though.

Although I've now discovered they are running 4ph buses from
Peterborough to Bedford (to pick up Thameslink from there). So that
might be good for a lucky few.

>Leeds to Sheffield trains are also liable to be rather crowded with
>passengers trying to get to/from St. Pancras.


Doncaster to Sheffield too, I suspect.

>But, despite engineering work at Milton Keynes, WCML will manage to run
>a handful of extra workings to/from Edinburgh during the Bank Holiday
>weekend.


Perhaps there are some paths freed up by fewer commuter trains running
because it's the weekend?

Meanwhile, a train-operator spokesperson has told local newspapers:

"Customers should avoid travelling to or from London King's
Cross, or between Cambridge and London St Pancras, on the
Saturday and Sunday. Other routes into the capital will remain
available but could be significantly busier than normal."

The first sentence being strangely worded, because by running no trains,
they've managed to ensure 100% of those pax will indeed avoid that
travel without making any effort at all!

The second sentence is potentially misleading because the
Peterborough-St Pancras services *aren't* in fact available. (And they
know about Thameslink, or they wouldn't have mentioned the Cambridge
Thameslink services).

[1] It always used to be the case that a trip via Peterborough to London
was equally valid to Kings Cross, or LST via Cambridge, but that's
not always the case any more. eg Leeds and Dewsbury/Ravensthorpe
are OK, but one station further, Mirfield, isn't.
spuorgelgoog (07.06.2019, 17:18)
On Thursday, 6 June 2019 19:13:16 UTC+1, Garde...@live.co.uk wrote:
> For me, it's an opportunity to chill out at home with a good book.


Just remember the library will probably be closed Saturday and Monday.

Owain
Recliner (07.07.2019, 13:36)
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 11:58:17 -0700 (PDT), gordonT
<torbainclerk> wrote:

>See following link (complete with customary picture taken many years ago).
>
>Interesting to see from realtimetrains that Hull Trains will be diverting via the MML into St.Pancras.


The Yorkshire Post has noticed, and isn't happy:
<https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/staggering-timing-of-east-coast-main-line-closure-condemned-by-yorkshire-event-organisers-1-9861066>

Similar Threads